Lac Ste. Anne County offers a range of Municipal Services and is a growing mix of residential, agricultural, industrial, and recreational opportunities. The County has a population of 10,899 in an area of over 3,000 sq. km. Due to the recognized degradation of road infrastructure throughout the municipality, Lac Ste. Anne County is hiring additional support to assist in raising the standard of their roadways.
The County is seeking a qualified Public Works Foreman to provide supervision within the Public Works Transportation Department. This will include the supervision of transportation and parks within the County, comprised of more than 21 staff in both union and non-union positions. Primary responsibilities of this position consist of coordinating and supervising municipal services through construction, maintenance, and repair of bridges, streets/roads, storm drains/culverts, and facilities.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Minimum of 3 years transportation-related experience directly supervising staff.
- Experience operating equipment is considered an asset.
- Experience working in a union environment is considered an asset
- Strong knowledge and understanding of transportation maintenance.
- Ability to provide strong leadership and supervision in a fast-paced and dynamic environment by prioritizing, scheduling, and budgeting based upon corporate goals and strategies.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to broad audiences.
- Extensive experience in on-site problem solving and solution creation in the field of transportation maintenance and surface drainage.
- Experience in a rural municipality is preferred.
- Must be computer literate and have experience with Microsoft Office programs and other industry-specific applications.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Alberta Operator’s License.
- This position requires residence within the County’s boundaries.A willingness to relocate within a suitable transition period would satisfy this requirement.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Reporting directly to the Manager of Public Works, the Public Works Foreman is responsible for:
- Coordinating staff, equipment, materials, and tasks to accomplish operations on a day to day basis, including County program-specific field services.
- Personnel administration, including conducting and assisting with on-the-job training and recommending specific training requirements.
- Maintaining a work environment that promotes staff participation, teamwork, and positive labour relations.
- Addressing customer requests for service considering health, safety, service levels, liability, and cost implications.
- Assisting with coordination and overseeing work of external contractors.
- Communicating and implementing County goals, objectives, budgets, and priorities.
- Providing leadership, strategic direction, and support to the Public Works Transportation Department.
- Ensuring policies, structures, systems, resources, and management practices are in place and effectively meet operational objectives.
- Ensuring all employees and external contractors adhere to OH&S policies and practices.
The Public Works Foreman will also fulfill any other related duties important to the efficient operation of the department, as assigned by Manager of Public Works.
The County provides a competitive compensation package commensurate with the successful candidate`s experience and education.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity please forward your resume to Kathryn Kerr at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be considered as they are received. This opportunity will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.