DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs, manages and monitors the activities of the Public Works department.
- Plans, prioritizes and ensures the implementation of public works maintenance and construction programs.
- As a working Foreman, operates and ensures a well trained staff
- Assists in developing policies, procedures and programs for roads, sewage works, and waterworks, streetlights, drainage and garbage collection.
- Responds to inquiries from the public.
- Participates as a member of the senior management team in planning for the provision of services to the residents of Acme.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the CAO.
Minimum Skills, Abilities and Qualifications
Ideally, the candidate shall have a minimum of 3 to 5 years of municipal operations experience in a similar position, or at a minimum, you are a seasoned senior public works foreman in a municipality.
Your experience shall include some budget control, personnel management, and effective oral and written communication. The position provides for considerable latitude for judgment and requires the development of procedures and policies. The Foreman must have:
- Current Water Treatment and Water Distribution System Class 1 Certificate of Competency
- Current Class 1 Waste Water Collection System Certificate of Competency
- A valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s license with an acceptable abstract and a clean Criminal Records Check is required.
- The ability to organize personnel and assign tasks effectively to achieve department goals.
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with the general public, staff, elected officials, contractors and consultants.
- A demonstrated track record of leadership and direction with prior management experience preferably in a municipal setting.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proven municipal experience in water and sewer maintenance, as well as road maintenance.
- Knowledge in developing budget estimates and evaluating programs/services.
- Knowledge of current legislation (workplace safety & health, employment standards).
- Understanding of community planning and the use of applicable Bylaws.
- Ability to develop a long-term infrastructure maintenance and replacement programs.
The position reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
Specific Position Requirements
- Working conditions contain moderate risks which require planned safety precautions for limited periods of time.
- Ability to work in all manner of weather conditions.
- Entails moderate levels of mental stress and pressure.
- Ability to be able to work flexible work hours to meet operational requirements.
- May be required to respond to emergency situations.
The successful candidate will be rewarded with a competitive compensation/benefits package, a variety of developmental opportunities, and the opportunity to make a real difference within a growing and dynamic organization.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing “Public Works Foreman” in the subject line. This competition will remain open until April 30, 2021 or until a suitable candidate is hired.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Village of Acme
Acme, AB T0M 0A0