The successful candidate will have experience dealing with the public and be able to effectively manage the Public Works team and multiple tasks in a fast paced work environment. The Supervisor reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer and is responsible for working in and the management of all Public Works, including water/wastewater, roads, storm drainage, parks and facilities. Strong communication and operational skills are essential in this public service position.
Coordinates and directs the work of the Public Works Department. The work is performed under minimal supervision, with considerable independent judgment and action as required. Performance will be conducted semi-annually. Attendance at Council meetings is required upon request.
Work involves responsibility for planning, organizing, directing and controlling town programs and services. The Supervisor reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer and is responsible for working in and the management of all Public Works, including water/wastewater, roads, storm drainage, parks and facilities. Strong communication and operational skills are essential in this public service position. Duties include administrative responsibility for departmental budget preparation and control. This position also has the responsibility for making Public Works technical decisions as well as the coordination, review and evaluation of Public Works personnel. Recommends departmental policies, programs and work objectives for the department and resolves personnel issues. The employee must possess a thorough knowledge, skill and ability in all phases of the Public Works field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans, directs, coordinates and oversees the total operation of Public Works including the supervision of all staff (including temporary hires and all contractors) and work assignments.
- Operates all equipment, including grader, Pay loader, Skid Steer, small tractors, mowers, fleet of trucks and any other equipment owned by the Town.
- Coordinates the maintenance of roads, lanes, water/wastewater and all other infrastructure, including pavement overlays and sidewalk replacement.
- Maintains all Town equipment, and performs repairs when necessary.
- Oversee and the operation of the water treatment, distribution, waste water collection and treatment, monitors control systems, records and reports data as required by Provincial and Federal Agencies.
- Maintains all equipment and storage facilities. Conducts minor repairs as necessary.
- Snow plowing, snow removal and sanding as required, including off hours.
- Supervise the use of external contractors making sure that the work meets expectations, and abiding by all health and safety requirements.
- Ensure all work orders are completed in a timely manner.
- Serves on rotation standby duty. Standby rotation is defined as Wednesday 0730 hours to Wednesday 0730 hours. Rounds to be completed Saturday and Sunday.
- Periodically reviews the operations of the Public Works Department for the purpose of evaluation effectiveness of operations, procedures, policies and practices. Subsequently, recommends to the Chief Administrative Officer, when applicable, ways and means of improving services.
- Responds to individuals or groups through meetings, correspondence or telephone in order to resolve problems or to supply information.
- Participates personally in crises situations or loss such as flooding, snow operations, downed trees, disasters or loss of power or water. Directs on-the-scene activities as requested.
- Consults with outside engineers on special technical engineering projects/and or problems.
- Assists the Chief Administrative Officer in the preparation of the annual Public Works operating and capital budgets.
- Assists in hiring and training of all department personnel as requested or needed.
- Serves as a member of Local Emergency Preparedness Team and attends meetings and disaster preparedness training as required.
- Promote a high degree of good public relations on behalf of the Town of Daysland, making sure that the duties carried out are completed in a manner that present an excellent image for the Town on behalf of Administration and Town Council.
- To follow and promote the Town of Daysland Health & Safety Program.
- Provides other related assistance and duties as requested.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- A THOROUGH KNOWLEDGE OF MUNICIPAL Public Works functions and services.
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices as applied to Public Works.
- Practical, working knowledge of the principles and practices of organization, supervision and finance administration in the operation of the Public Works Department.
- Ability to plan, organize, assign, supervise and inspect the work of Public Works employees.
- General computer knowledge and experience.
- Considerable ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing. Considerable ability establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with CAO, associates, subordinates, attorneys, contractors, officials of other agencies and the general public.
- Working knowledge of labor relations practices and procedures.
- High school diploma or GED
- Some kind of Post-Secondary Education would be an asset
- Experience in general labor duties in a municipal environment
- Experience with hand and mechanical tools
- Ability to safely operate and service motorized equipment such as grader, Pay loader, Skid Steer, gravel truck (class 3 with air brakes) and a fleet of trucks
- Management Skills
- AEP Level I certification in all of the following; water treatment, water distribution, wastewater collection, and wastewater treatment with 5 years’ experience.
- Valid Alberta Class 3 operators permit with air brake endorsement
- Knowledge of HVAC systems
- Computer experience, including Microsoft Office
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction and work with minimum supervision
- Effective public relations skills
- Ability to lead and function in a team environment
- Knowledge and experience of SCADA systems.