Under the direction of the County of St. Paul CAO, the Regional Director of Occupational Health and Safety must work collaboratively and supportively with the regional municipalities in planning, organizing, and providing leadership to the Regional Safety Management System (RSMS) and overall Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) program for the County of St. Paul, the Town of St. Paul, the Town of Elk Point, and the Summer Village of Horseshoe Bay. The Regional Director will be located at the Town of St. Paul Administration Office.
With the goal of improving the regional capacity to respond effectively to OH&S and provide a safe and incident free workplace, the Regional Director will, among other duties:
- Work collaboratively with the regional leadership teams, their staff, and the Health and Safety Committee (HSC) to proactively address OH&S related issues by monitoring worksite conditions, behaviours, areas of risk, and develop policies, procedures, and processes to address legislative requirements and areas of risk.
- Build the supervisory and managerial capacity within each municipality to improve local responses to OH&S related issues by coaching and mentoring for the required behaviours and mindset to further develop an already strong safety culture and being prepared to rollup sleeves and demonstrate what is required.
- In conjunction with the HSC, develop, implement, maintain, and revise the Regional Safety Management System (RSMS) in accordance with all applicable laws and municipal requirements, supporting and assisting in workplace hazard analyses and developing mitigation action plans when required.
- Develop and deliver safety training as required, including supporting the development of and providing workplace orientations, training, and proper use of PPE for employees and contractors.
- Participate in and support the region through health and safety audits, inspections, corrective action plans, and the preparation of reports as required.
- Assist the region in conducting incident and near miss investigations if required, in conjunction with the HSC, respecting and maintaining confidentiality, and supporting, as required, the WCB return to work program for injured employees.
Qualified Candidate Requirements
The successful candidate:
- Brings progressively responsible experience, including professional OH&S competencies, developing an OH&S program, and responsibility for budgets, operational planning, and staff within an occupational health and safety department.
- Has at a minimum a related post-secondary certificate and/or diploma in occupational health and safety.
- Brings well-developed skills in building and managing relationships and teams, resolving conflicts effectively and calmly, coaching, and communication, along with the ability to evaluate situations and exercise good judgement in making decisions.
We offer an excellent benefit and pension package and will negotiate the remuneration based on the knowledge and experience of the successful candidate.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your cover letter, resume, and references by June 30, 2020 to the attention of Sheila Kitz, CAO.
Please note, the successful candidate will be required to complete a criminal records check and provide a clear driver’s abstract.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those applicants that have been chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Mail - County of St. Paul, 5015 49 Ave, St. Paul, Alberta T0A 3A4
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org