Serve as principal in planning, directing, supervising and coordinating activities associated with the training programs, Implementation of the Quality Management Plan, and operations associated to the Lesser Slave Regional Fire Service. Ensure effective and efficient firefighting and rescue techniques, plans, standard operating guidelines and policy and procedures are in compliance with legislation and regionally. The Regional Fire Service operates in the Town of Slave Lake and MD of Lesser Slave River.
GENERAL DUTIES OF THIS POSITION:
- Manage preparation and development of firefighting plans and procedures, standard operating guidelines and departmental policies; track trends and anticipate issues that may impact emergency services, and prepare policy and recommendations for Senior Management and Councils
- Manage the Operational and Capital department financial planning
- Manage budgets within overall Town & MD guidelines
- Identifying and advancing entrepreneurial and partnering options
- Provide short and long term planning
- Provide counselling and mental health support
- Provide direction to the Regional Fire Services regarding the Fire Prevention Inspection Program, Code Enforcement and adherence to accepted Professional guidelines and standards; provide these services in conjunction with the Captains and Training Officers.
- Ensure support, collaboration and development of mutually beneficial partnerships with others in and outside the organization is in accordance regionally
- Responsible for the administration of the Disaster Services program including training, mock disasters and maintenance of Municipal Emergency Plan
- Ensure maintenance training records regionally are up to date
- Manage correspondence, reports and other materials for the department as required
- Ensure that the requirements for the Local Authority Emergency Regulation are met.
- Provide a system for emergency scene command including scene evaluation, strategy & tactics to be employed, direction of emergency personnel and resources to effectively and efficiently bring the situation to a safe conclusion
- Research and prepare reports to facilitate senior administrative and legislative decision making regarding matters pertinent to fire services
- Ensure the implementation of training of firefighting personnel in the methods of firefighting, rescue and the use of equipment for emergency response
- As part of a regional training centre for northern Alberta provide direction, development, and delivery of regional and local emergency training to Firefighters and outside organizations.
- Promote fire prevention in the region through inspections, public appearances, and public information education programs
- Direct personnel, apparatus, equipment and property of the department at emergency scenes, ensuring strict compliance with standard operating guidelines of the department
- Effectively coordinate the allocation of resources to ensure needs of both urban and rural areas are met
- Respond to emergency calls such as structure fire, wild land fire, MVC, dangerous goods, tactical/rescue, medicals and requests for services
- Ensure the maintenance and readiness of the Lesser Slave Regional Fire Service apparatus and facilities
- Ensure the general upkeep and orderliness of all regional fire halls, trucks, and equipment
- Work with the regional future fire program membership to enhance training and stability of program regionally
- Ensure that tasks are performed safely and in compliance with applicable legislation, policies and procedures
- Performance of other duties as assigned
- Provide training for staff on standard operating guidelines and policies and procedures
- Provide direction to the LSRFS Fire Inspectors, volunteer training officers
- Provide direction and orientate staff and volunteers
- Supervise the day-to-day administration of the Lesser Slave Regional Fire Services volunteer firefighters training needs, including planning, coordinating and facilitating regular training sessions regionally
- Conduct annual performance reviews and assist with one-on-one fire personnel evaluations
Health and Safety
Health and Safety: Must adhere to all safety standards under the Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, Alberta Transportation, Lesser Slave Regional Fire Services policies and procedures, and SOGs. Refer to Town and MD 124 Policies and Procedures and WHMIS Guidelines. For specific responsibilities of this position, refer to the Town’s Health and Safety Policy, Section 2 – Responsibilities for CAO, Directors, Supervisors and Workers.
A more detailed description of key responsibilities and candidate requirements is described on our website at www.slavelake.ca
We offer a competitive salary / benefits package.
Send your resume to:
Town of Slave Lake
Human Resource Department
10 Main Street S.W.
P.O. Box 1030
Slave Lake, Alberta T0G 2A0
Fax: (780) 849-4483
Resumes will be taken until August 16, 2019 at 4:00 PM.