This is a temporary full-time position working thirty-five (35) hours per week for approximately twelve (12) months within the Environmental Services Branch of the Public Works Department. This position is located in the community of Fort McMurray, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo’s urban centre.
The Regulatory Advisor is responsible for providing guidance and support in all areas of environmental and related public service management, primarily to Environmental Services. Primary responsibilities of this position include:
Environmental Response: Investigates, evaluates, and interprets relevant incidents under the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act of Alberta. Participates in confidential inter-government communications regarding incident cause and corrective actions. Works closely with federal/provincial/municipal government, local business, and residents to properly address environmental incidents within the Municipality. Utilizes departmental strategies, tools, and guidelines based on best practices to recommend corrective actions.
Environmental Management: Incumbent will be required to compile, submit, and track amendments, renewals and notifications under existing EPEA and Water Act approvals. Provides technical input on proposals, conducts evaluations, and assists with implementation of regulatory requirements for Public Works and other Municipal infrastructure. Actively participates or leads strategic enterprise wide regulatory and technical services programs. Incumbent will be instrumental in the tendering, selection and management of consultants and contractors involved in regulatory and technical efforts.
Research and Implementation: Researches, evaluates and recommends innovative and leading practices and methods in environmental planning and compliance. Participates in the continuous research, development, improvement, and implementation of effective departmental strategies, tools, and guidelines based municipal best practices. Works directly with Senior Manager to implement compliance strategies cross-department.
Departmental Guidance: Maintains communication with external agencies and departments of the provincial government. Participates in business area cross functional teams and external environmental committees. Produces reports on regulatory and technical services activities, initiatives and progress. Promotes the organization’s regulatory and technical services initiatives through presentations internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or Engineering, or Arts specializing in Regulatory Policy, Environmental Science, or Resources Management is preferred.
- Five (5) years’ related experience in an environmental service environment.
- LEED, QWAS, CET or other related certification is an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
- Experience working in a public-sector environment with unionized and non-unionized employees considered an asset.
You will possess the following:
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to navigate through situations involving change, shifting priorities, and/or simultaneous demands.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills both verbal and written, as well as a demonstrated ability to assess situations from a business perspective.
- Strong team player with a collaborative style and task management and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships with internal customers, external providers, and community stakeholders.
- Ability to advise on administrative directives, policy, and legal requirements with knowledge of applicable environmental laws and regulations.
- Proficient with various Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Sound, practical judgment using independent decision making.
- Must be willing to work outdoors and in all weather conditions.
- Class Five (5) Alberta driver’s licence is preferred.
Competitive Salary - In addition to the rate of pay, we offer:
- an additional bi-weekly payment of $480 which represents a cost of living allowance
Please visit our website at www.rmwb.ca
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Late applications will not be accepted.