The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
This position is responsible for providing support to the Revenue and Taxation Supervisor. The incumbent will ensure the appropriate accounting treatments are in place and support the operational efficiencies of revenue management. He/She will act as the internal liaison that leads collaborative reviews and the development of innovative processes to provide centralized control and guidance over the City's revenue. The incumbent will be equally assigned to business analysis and support, and operations including the development of reliable reporting in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles. This position reports to the Revenue and Taxation Supervisor.
Analysis and Strategic Support
- Assigned as the technical expert on revenue accounting and related processes.
- Lead process development from inception to implementation, including maintenance and training.
- Review contracts related to revenue for appropriate accounting treatment, record journal entries and monitor invoicing.
- Advise internal departments on appropriate accounting treatment of revenue transactions.
- Act as a business partner to establish effective processes for timely revenue recovery.
- Support in the analysis of existing work-flow processes, document and recommend solutions to meet business needs. This position will contribute to policy and procedure development resulting from this analysis.
- Participate in the development, maintenance, updating and testing of other corporate systems which integrate with financial software.
- Complete ad-hoc project work such as revenue reasonability analysis and cost effectiveness of business practices.
- Understand the operational processes of Utilities, Taxation and General Trade Receivables in order to fully support Revenue and Taxation Supervisor and department function.
- Contribute to the creation of overall strategy and business procedures for the collection of delinquent accounts and consistent application of early intervention for timely collection of receivables.
- Prepare daily reconciliation of the Operating Bank using Diamond Software.
- Review reconciliations for receivable accounts prepared by other staff on a monthly basis.
- Ensure revenue and accounts receivable balances reflected in the monthly financial statements are accurate and appropriately supported in Caseware.
- Assist team members with resolving escalated and complex sub-ledger variances.
- Responsible for integrity of general ledger clearing accounts.
- Establish processes for efficient and effective data collection for the calculation of underground line loss.
- Maintain data within Water Worth application; the financial model for utility rates.
- Develop complex reports in Great Plains Smartlist and Excel to meet business area needs.
- Prepare monthly journal entries to record bulk water sales and prepaid balances and reconcile general ledger to distribution reporting.
- Prepare draft mill rate calculations.
- Assist with budget and variance analysis, audit documentation and year end processes.
- Lead and/or participate in research and/or implementation of new initiatives approved in the Corporate Plan.
- Post-secondary two (2) year Business Administration Diploma with a major in Finance.
- Six (6) to eight (8) years related experience.
- Financial analysis experience both developing and working with financial models and reporting.
- National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority (NAACLA) an asset.
- CPA Canada Advanced Certificate in Accounting and Finance (ACAF) an asset.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.