Join nearly 100,000 people in a vibrant outdoor centric community filled with trails and breathtaking nature along the winding river valley of Red Deer, in Central Alberta. Red Deer is an economically dynamic region of Alberta situated directly between Edmonton and Calgary along the vital QE 2 corridor. It is a perfect blend of small town friendliness and big city conveniences. Host to the 2016 Memorial Cup and the 2019 Canadian Winter Games, Red Deer continues to welcome all of Canada with open arms.
The City of Red Deer is currently seeking the right person to fill the position of Roads Supervisor. This person is responsible for the strategic leadership and supervision of the Construction or Maintenance area of the Roads section. The Roads Supervisor is responsible to the Roads Superintendent for the operation of all aspects of construction and maintenance of roads and sidewalk installations and winter snow and ice control. Responsibilities include supervision of a large number of work crews engaged in the maintenance of existing roads, sidewalks and signage as well as some minor new construction projects in the summer and winter seasons. Assumes the position of Roads Superintendent during his absence.
The two Roads Supervisors will work as a team to coordinate staff, equipment & materials, capital & operating budgets, communications, contracts, risk management and safety, while managing interactions with stakeholder groups and various public relations requirements. These requirements will all be completed while remaining committed to the provision of exceptional customer service.
As our preferred candidate, you will have:
- Diploma in Civil Technology or other post-secondary College/Institute suitable with the proper combined education and experience to meet the minimum competencies required for this position.
- Four years’ experience in municipal roads programs related to construction, maintenance and repair at progressively more responsible levels including the supervision of others.
In addition to the 9 Core Competencies (i.e., Ethical Conduct & Values, Service Focus, Problem Solving/Thinking, Planning & Organizing, Leadership, Development, Communication & Interaction, Adaptability & Change Management, Understanding the Municipal Political Environment) – the following are specific to this position:
- Thorough knowledge of road maintenance and construction practices.
- Good judgment in making decisions
- Able to work independently and as part of a committed team.
- Demonstrated communication skills, including ability to speak and write effectively.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Ability to establish relationships and act with respect and integrity.
- This work involves multiple concurrent and frequently changing priorities with tight time constraints, the potential for extended work hours, multi-level discussions of high-profile issues in an environment of knowledgeable experts, and the need to maintain composure, impartiality, and a professional attitude in dealing with sensitive issues and confidential information.
- Frequently required to work in situations of high intensity requiring strong problem solving skills, strategic thinking and decisive action.
- The position involves regular exposure to risk during on-site inspection of work crew activities.
- There are interruptions of leisure time to provide instructions or coordinate activities of work crews.
- Continuous exposure to public criticism.
What we offer:
In addition to the very competitive salary of $79,822 to $99,778 per annum and an excellent benefit package, we offer a great work environment with a dynamic and dedicated team of professionals.
If you like what you have read, and think this is the job for you; come build your career with The City of Red Deer. We are committed to a healthy, vibrant, and sustainable community. Our employees are the cornerstone of our organization and working with us will provide you with the opportunity to work in an ever growing environment and to work with an awesome group of people.