Join a vibrant outdoor centric community filled with trails and breathtaking nature along the winding river valley of Red Deer, in Central Alberta. Red Deer is an economically dynamic region of Alberta situated directly between Edmonton and Calgary along the vital QE 2 corridor. It is a perfect blend of small town friendliness and big city conveniences. Host to the 2016 Memorial Cup and the 2019 Canada Winter Games, Red Deer continues to welcome all of Canada with open arms.
We are currently recruiting for the right person to fill the position of Safe & Healthy Communities Manager. Acknowledging the unique role of the municipality, the Safe & Healthy Communities Department enhances the quality of life and social well-being of Red Deer citizens.
This Management position is responsible for the leadership and effective, efficient, and customer-centred operation of the Safe & Healthy Communities Department. The primary responsibility is to support the Community Services Division by providing Administrative excellence and strategic oversight of the Safe & Healthy Communities Department Leadership Team working to deliver Recreation Services, Facility & Asset Management & Maintenance, Community & Neighbourhood Development, Family and Community Support Services, Housing and Homelessness supports, Safety and Resiliency supports, Emergency Social Services, Art & Culture Services and support for Corporate Initiatives.
Ideally to fill this role, you will have a University Degree in Recreation, Social Sciences, Leadership or Business. A postgraduate degree would be considered an asset.
In addition you will have:
- Supplementary educational courses in management, leadership and research methodologies (e.g. program evaluation and monitoring).Ability to accept responsibility, act independently, make and defend decisions; yet acknowledge higher authority, listen to other opinions and modify
- At least seven years management experience at a progressively more senior level.
- A thorough knowledge of federal, provincial and municipal legislation and regulations
- Experience in community development relating to community safety and social issues, understanding of the philosophy and objectives of municipal recreation and culture initiatives and facility operation with experience in working with architectural/engineering consultants and contractors.
- Demonstrated public relation skills, including the ability to speak effectively in public and work cooperatively with the media.
- Demonstrated communications skills; including the ability to speak effectively in public and work cooperatively with the media, and to draft high quality reports and proposals.
- Demonstrated skills in dealing with both exempt and unionized staff.
What we offer:
- In addition to the competitive annual salary of $130,609 to $163,261 and an excellent benefits package, we offer a great work environment with a dynamic and dedicated team of likeminded professionals.
If you like what you have read, and think this is the job for you; come build your career with The City of Red Deer. We are committed to a healthy, vibrant, and sustainable community. Our employees are the cornerstone of our organization and working with us will provide you with the opportunity to work in an ever growing environment and to work with an awesome group of people.
We welcome applications until a suitable candidate has been recruited.
For more information and to apply online, please visit us at www.reddeer.ca/careers
or email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.