Reporting to the Executive Officer, Marketing, Communications and Strategy, the Senior Director of Growth and Innovation must be a resourceful, self-motivated leader with a strong entrepreneurial spirit. This individual will be responsible for leading a small team to drive the identification, analysis, and implementation of business opportunities. These business opportunities will serve to advance the competitiveness and overall sustainability of our organization through expanding service offerings, enhancing revenue streams, and increasing the efficiency of our operations. This individual will foster relationships with key stakeholders in the Alberta innovation community and will be a key catalyst to enhance the culture of innovation internally within the organization as well a conduit to facilitate innovative thinking within AUMA’s membership.
Full Time, Permanent
Level 7 - Senior Management
Education and Experience
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) would be considered an asset.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation and/or a Project Management Professional (PMP) designation would be considered an asset.
- 5-10 years of business case development experience and implementing new, profitable business lines within an organization or business start-ups.
- Experience in developing and executing growth strategies.
- Experience working in a wide variety of industries is an asset.
Skills and Attributes
- Entrepreneurial thinker with an ability to identify new busines opportunities based on trends and market needs.
- Ability to prepare concise but comprehensive business cases for a wide variety of new business opportunities.
- Strong presentation skills with an ability to create compelling narratives to clearly justify proposed recommendations.
- Ability to manage complex projects involving a wide variety of stakeholders to implement new business opportunities.
- Strategic and creative thinker, excellent listener and communicator.
- Strong change management, innovative problem solving and good judgment skills.
- Effective management skills and ability to be self-directed to manage multiple priorities, organize workload for self and others, and meet deliverables with quality responses.
- Results driven and highly organized with the ability to manage multiple projects, and diverse activities while displaying attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent leadership skills and interpersonal skills such as consultation, facilitation, interest-based negotiation, and team building with a strong ability to motivate, coach and effectively manage team performance with a positive attitude.
- Ability to take initiative and be flexible and responsive to changing priorities and circumstances.
- Ability to establish systems and processes needed for effective business operations.
- Strong political sensitivity and acumen to grasp and effectively respond to political conditions.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
New Business Opportunity Identification
- Stay abreast of key trends and market needs within the Canadian local government, non-profit and a wide variety of industries.
- Proactively identify and seek out solutions to help address the needs of local governments and non-profits.
- Collaborate with other business units to explore and assess new business opportunities.
- Identify and assist business units or specific product lines that are struggling with growth.
- Assist existing business units with expansion to new markets.
- Develop and lead the corporate process to facilitate the identification and assessment of new, for-profit busines opportunities for the organization including establishing business lines internally or through strategic partnerships.
- Develop relationships with innovative thought leaders in a variety of industries that pertain to local governments and non-profits.
- Establish an innovation group of senior municipal employees and other stakeholders to provide a forum to gather feedback on new business opportunities.
New Business Opportunity Assessments
- Engage with potential clients, stakeholders, program delivery partners and subject matter experts to lead the creation of all phases of a business case development including:
- Detailed market assessment and opportunity validation
- Competitive assessment
- Risk analysis
- Value proposition and business model
- Financial assessment
- Operating plan including resource requirements and key performance indicators
- Implementation plan
- Develop and deliver presentations to justify the pursuit of confirmed business opportunities.
New Business Line Implementations
- Oversee the implementation plan for the development of new business lines.
- Compile implementation teams of subject matter experts and third-party vendors (if applicable).
- Develop or assist in developing project charters that specify the objectives, deliverables, budget, and detailed work plans to establish new business lines.
- Manage the new business line while in the incubation and startup phase until the business is viable to transfer to a permanent business owner and operational team.
- Manage the development of an operational team (if applicable) and establish an operational framework for new business lines.
- Manage the transition of the business line from the implementation team to the operational team.
- Complete post- implementation evaluations of actual results against objectives and share learnings and opportunities for improvement.
Internal culture of growth and innovation
- Collaborate with the Senior Director of Business Development and the Executive Officer team to determine and execute strategies to promote a growth-focused and innovative culture.
Innovation thought leader for municipalities
- Develop and execute strategies to position AUMA as the innovative thought leader for municipalities.
- Engage members in the innovation process to help identify issues where innovation and disruption could enhance municipalities and non-profits.
- Build strategic partnerships with the startup community and think tank organizations to uncover start-up organizations or innovations that could benefit municipalities or non-profits.
- Research major innovation themes and disruptions that could benefit or impact municipalities and communicate them to staff, board members and members.
- Provide input to the organization’s business plans and annual operational plans, budget, and key performance indicators.
- Monitor and report on initiatives and take corrective actions to address issues.
- Manage growth and innovation team, including conducting annual staff performance reviews.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume with cover letter to Jeff Simpson, Senior Director, Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection of people to perform this position is based on matching their knowledge, skills, competencies, and behaviours to the work to be performed so that the best qualified candidates are chosen. AUMA is committed to employment practices that are unbiased with regard to equal opportunity of employment. AUMA makes every effort to be in compliance with the Alberta Human Rights Legislation.