Position Title: Senior Manager Human Resources
Department: Strategic and Administrative Services
Reports To: Director, Strategic and Administrative Services
Subordinate Positions: Payroll Specialist, OH&S Adviser, Senior HR Advisor
Hours of Work: 35 per week
Reporting to the Director of Strategic and Administrative Services, the Senior Manager of Human Resources is responsible for providing human resources leadership as a member of the Senior Leadership Team ensuring outcomes are achieved that align with the overall strategic direction of the Town. The Senior Manager leads a team of professionals in human resources including a payroll and benefits specialist, Senior Human Resources Advisor and Occupational Health and Safety Advisor to deliver and implement best practices. He/She is responsible for building strong relationships, providing strategic human resource advice, as well as relevant and timely direction relative to all human resource matters.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner closely with departmental leaders to provide exceptional customer service in the delivery of HR services, develop people plans/strategies, and focus on strategic issues.
- Lead the creation of a learning organization that encourages leadership development, talent management and succession planning.
- Develop human resource measurement protocols and reporting processes to align with and support organization strategic and business plans.
- Initiate, develop and lead innovative human resources strategic plans and projects such as compensation planning, organizational effectiveness, employee coaching, recruiting, training, communication and performance management.
- Diagnose organizational effectiveness/health and identifies gaps and opportunities that impact business results ensuring the alignment with the vision and values of the organization.
- Develop and manage policy providing proactive advice on the Town’s human resources policies and procedures to ensure fairness, consistency and equity across the organization and minimize employment-related risk.
- Lead human resource cycles such as performance management, compensation, recruitment, career development, and workforce planning.
- Manage complex, high-risk and sensitive workplace issues and conflicts, including human rights, terminations, disability leaves and investigations.
- Lead the management of employee relations and related strategies.
- Oversee complex projects and initiatives, which may include workforce planning, benchmarking, pay for performance and change management.
- Develop human resources strategy and salary budget for the organization by forecasting requirements and trends as part of multiyear business planning and budget process.
- Effectively manage the HR team to accomplish HR department goals.
Required Education & Experience
- CPHR Designation or ability to earn it within a prescribed period of time.
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources, Management, Business Administration, Leadership or related degree from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- 8 – 10 years of HR business/strategic partner experience, or a combination of HR strategic partner and client-facing experience where influence and strong judgement were keys to success.
- Experience in municipal government sector considered an asset.
- Ability to use a variety of Microsoft Office applications. Previous experience with a payroll and HRIS such as Diamond and Questica is an asset.
- Extensive knowledge legislation in Human Rights, Occupational Health & Safety, employment standards, labour relations, pay equity and other applicable legislation.
Competencies and Behaviours:
- A highly organized problem solver with the proven ability to think and act strategically supported by strong analytical skills.
- Strong functional knowledge in all aspects of human resource policies, programs and processes and ability to assess and execute on organizational effectiveness priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution skills, interpretation and labour relations skills.
- A team player that integrates a high degree of personal drive and motivation towards team support, collaboration and reaching organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions, evaluate people, manage priorities and adapt to change in a dynamic environment, while effectively interacting with peers
- Clear thinking, conflict negotiation skills and problem-solving abilities
- Positive relationship management, communication and consulting skills in order to build positive relationships with client groups and key partners.
Send resume and cover letter outlining skills and experience related to job competencies to firstname.lastname@example.org.