The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Shared Principles, innovation is encouraged; communication and learning are continuous in this team environment while maintaining a positive work and family life balance.
This position is a senior level planning position that is responsible for current and long range planning functions that require the application of professional land use planning theories, methodologies and principles. The incumbent performs a variety of planning activities including processing complex current planning applications and projects. He/she also performs long range planning activities, including development of statutory plans and amendments, interpretation and development of planning policy and development of recommendations on various statutory plans and bylaws.
- Perform advanced professional planning work related to a variety of planning assignments.
- Review and analyze Municipal Development Plan (MDP), Area Structure Plan (ASP) and Land Use Bylaw (LUB) amendments.
- Review complex studies, development applications and consultant proposals.
- Prepare and present Request for Decision (RFD) and other reports to Council and Committee of the Whole.
- Understand and interpret Provincial legislation, such as the Municipal Government Act (MGA), statutory plans, and relevant City plans and policies.
- Maintain ongoing communication with applicants and stakeholders.
- Consult with the general public and specific stakeholders on a variety of planning issues.
- Provide professional planning assistance to members of the community on land use projects.
- Perform field inspections when appropriate to gather data relevant to the planning process and/or to verify that projects comply with approved plans.
- Perform required evaluation and analysis of the potential impacts of changing plans.
- Process applications to meet legislative requirements and amendment procedures.
- Communicate the City’s goals and intent behind planning documents.
- Meet with developers and other stakeholders to review and provide feedback on development proposals.
- Draft and prepare brochures and information handouts for the general public.
- Research, develop and prepare planning related policy, bylaw, and other planning documents and reports.
Long Range Planning:
- Develop and write policies and bylaws through comprehensive research and consultation with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Conduct research on planning and related issues.
- Provide review and comment on subdivision applications.
- Consult with relevant stakeholders on new or changing policy and bylaw outcomes.
- Prepare draft bylaws and other planning documents and reports.
- Process bylaws to meet legislative requirements and amendment procedures.
- Communicate the City’s goals and intent behind proposals to a variety of stakeholders and the public.
- Prepare and present Request for Decision (RFD) and other finding to Council and Committee of the Whole.
- Follow project management methodology and processes on projects.
- Post secondary Degree in urban or regional planning, related field of studies or equivalent.
- Seven (7) to eight (8) years of related experience, preferably in an Alberta municipal setting.
- Eligible for full membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP). Membership is considered an asset.
Department: Planning and Infrastructure
Close Date: Tuesday, June 13, 2019 (10:00 pm MST)
Salary Range: $86,190 to $106,470
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for a full job description and more information about the City of Spruce Grove.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.