As Alberta’s fastest growing municipality, the City of Chestermere has rapidly evolved from a charming summer village into a dynamic lakeside community for over 20,000 residents. The beautiful lake, excellent schools, safe communities, pleasant neighbourhoods, growing opportunities, and an 18-hole golf course all contribute to the ambiance of a family friendly oasis. By demonstrating the City’s values, employees at the City of Chestermere use their strengths and unique abilities to contribute to Council’s vision for the City of Chestermere.
The City is currently seeking a fulltime (37.5 hours per week) Senior Planner to join our team. As a member of the Development and Infrastructure team, this position provides level lll professional expertise regarding current operation and long-range planning and project work in support of the municipality’s overall operations and development.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Analyze, conduct and coordinate current operations projects, and review and process development proposals, applications, and planning documents against appropriate principles, regulations and policies
- Participate in inter-municipal planning processes
- Implementation and continuous improvement of the City’s statutory planning framework
- Provide planning advice to staff, developers, the general public and Council.
- Provide mentorship and leadership to Planning Staff, providing feedback on significant applications and projects.
Consideration will be given to candidates who possess:
- Master’s degree in Planning or a related discipline.
- 4 years of progressively responsible experience related to the real estate industry including land development in a municipal environment.
- Full membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP) and/or Alberta Professional Planners Institute (APPI).
- Registered Planning Professional Designation (RPP).
- Clear Criminal Record Check deemed satisfactory by the City.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License and a Driver’s Abstract deemed satisfactory by the City.
- Comprehensive knowledge of governance issues, e.g., policy development and interpretation.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form, e.g., maintain ongoing communication to anticipate and prevent potential problems, develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships with Council, staff, the public and other stakeholders.
- Proven leadership and workflow coordination capability, e.g., ability to motivate staff towards constant improvement and encourage staff to make recommendations, coaching, mentoring, performance management and development.
- Ability to act as an advocate, balancing the needs of staff and stakeholders with the needs of the City.
A detailed job description is attached. The City appreciates receiving resumes from all qualified individuals, however only those applicants who are short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
At our small and unique City, we take pride in supporting one another. We are looking for a Senior Planner who can tackle technical details as well as enjoy a laugh with their co-workers. If that sounds like you, let’s chat. Submit a cover-letter and resume referencing Job Competition 2019- Senior Planner by 4:00 pm, Friday March 15, 2019 to:
City of Chestermere
105 Marina Road
Chestermere, Alberta, T1X 1V7
Attention: J Popoff
Fax: (403) 204-7681