The Town of Morinville is currently seeking a full time Senior Planner to join the Planning & Economic Development team. Reporting to the Director (Planning & Economic Development), the Senior Planner will be responsible for providing planning expertise to Council, internal departments, the development industry and the general public. The Senior Planner will facilitate long range planning and policy development that is consistent with the goals and policies of the Town of Morinville.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Provide project management and/or necessary research for special projects that are consistent with Town policies and goals.
- Maintain current growth projections for accurate populations, land absorption and off-site levy updates.
- Conduct research and prepare reports on growth, land use and planning issues.
- Prepare, present and defend reports at Municipal Planning Commission, Council, Subdivision and Development Appeal Board on complex planning issues and applications
- Respond to general public and developer inquiries to explain processes and provide planning advise
- Review and respond to planning referrals from adjacent municipalities and Capital Region Board, as required
- The ideal candidate will possess an accredited degree in urban and land use planning or equivalent related degree, with eligibility in the Alberta Professional Planners Institute (APPI).
- Registered Professional Planner (RPP) designation, or progress towards achieving the designation is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years experience working in the field of land use planning
- Extensive knowledge of the functions of municipal government, the application of bylaws and policies.
- Working knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and the Town’s statutory plans specifically the Municipal Development Plan, Land Use Bylaw, Municipal Sustainability Plan, and various area structure plans
- Ability to read and understand architectural drawings, Real Property Reports and site plans and perform mathematical calculations to independently determine compliance of code and bylaw requirements.
- Excellent customer service skills with the objective of balancing the needs of stakeholders with the interests of the municipality.
- A proficiency in interpersonal communication (verbal and written skills) with demonstrable ability to express ideas.
- Proven problem solving, negotiating and conflict resolution skills to anticipate and prevent potential issues and to maintain positive and effective working relationships with staff, the public and other stakeholders.
- A positive and approachable attitude complimented with a strong work ethic and ability to work in fast paced environments often on multiple files simultaneously. Proficiency in MS Office suite.
Compensation: Salary Range of $81,054—$96,782 annually (7 Step Grid), based on a 35 hour work week. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including Pension, Professional Development opportunities along with a supportive work environment.
Application Deadline: 12:00 pm, December 19, 2019 COMP # 201939
Please submit resumes by the above noted deadline; however, resumes will be accepted until the position has been filled.
The Town of Morinville thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit applications quoting “Senior Planner” to:
Town of Morinville
Morinville, AB T8R 1L6