Palliser Regional Municipal Services is an inter-municipal service agency, centrally located in Hanna Alberta, providing professional planning, GIS, safety code and other services to 24 member municipalities in East-Central Alberta. The Town of Hanna is centrally located in the region and has a full range of community and recreational facilities. Hanna is approximately a 2 hour drive from the Cities of Calgary and Red Deer and a 45 minute drive from the Town of Drumheller.
Palliser Regional Municipal Services is seeking a motivated, self-starter to fill the role of Senior Planner within our organization. This is a senior level position that requires extensive experience in current and long-range planning. Experience with legislation including the Municipal Government Act and other local, provincial, and federal regulations are necessary to succeed in this position. This senior level position is focused on both long-range and current planning and will also provide project guidance and support to other staff members.
Your primary role with Palliser Regional Municipal Services Co. Ltd.:
- Preparation, review, and implementation of statutory planning documents including but not limited to Intermunicipal Development Plans (IDPs), Municipal Development Plans (MDPs), Area Structure Plans (ASPs)
- Preparation and review of Land Use Bylaws (LUBs).
- Subdivision application processing- provide advice to applicants, review applications and issue decisions.
- Statutory plan and LUB amendment application processing, reporting and presentations.
- Provide support and advice on development questions and inquiries from municipal shareholders and residents.
- Provide presentations and support to municipal shareholders at SDAB hearings.
- Provide project support and advice to staff.
- Attend meetings during and outside of regular office hours as required.
The successful candidate possesses a degree in Urban and Regional Planning combined with at least five years of responsible planning experience. An APPI/CIP regulated member is required. Regulated members include those who are Candidates or RPP members of the Institute.
Further, the individual possesses the following qualities:
- Ability to take initiative and work with little direction to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Substantial writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- High proficiency in computer programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. ArcGIS experience would be an asset but is not mandatory.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy / attention to detail.
- Extensive knowledge in planning terminology, practices, procedures, and standards.
- Experience with annexations and road closures considered an asset.
The position requires a valid driver’s license to enable travel throughout the region.
Our organization offers a highly attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefits, learning & development opportunities as well as a great work environment which provides excellent opportunities for professional growth. The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume outlining their experience and qualifications to the attention of the undersigned:
Devin Diano, CEO/Director of Planning
Palliser Regional Municipal Services
P.O. Drawer 1900
Hanna, Alberta. T0J 1P0
Phone: (403) 854-3371
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, but only those applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants will be required to provide examples of past long-range planning projects during the interview process. The Position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.