The City of Medicine Hat is looking for a Solicitor to join our City Solicitor’s team for a full-time permanent position. This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual who desires to practice and develop expertise in a broad range of areas of law and enjoys working with a team of experienced professionals. The City of Medicine Hat is a unique municipality, operating its own utility distribution systems, environmental utilities, power generation as well as a natural gas and petroleum resources department. In addition to its municipal functions, the City of Medicine Hat is a major land developer within the City. If you are looking to embark in a career with a diverse municipality and unique legal challenges – consider this role!
Our ideal candidate has strong legal writing and communication skills with experience in legislative drafting, real property law, municipal law, planning and development law, public utilities law, environmental compliance, or other areas of law related to municipal government or the City of Medicine Hat’s operations.
- Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor degree and successful completion of the Alberta Bar Admission including membership in good standing of the Law Society of Alberta.
- Professional experience in one or more relevant areas of law which could include legislative drafting, real property law, planning and development, employment law, public utilities law, oil and gas law , environmental compliance, or administrative law.
- Knowledge of the Municipal Government Act would be an asset.
- Litigation experience would be an asset
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Our organization offers a highly attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefits, learning & development opportunities as well as a great work environment which provides excellent opportunities for professional growth.
The City of Medicine Hat strives to achieve its vision to be a “Community of Choice”; a place where people choose to live, work and play. The Medicine Hat advantage:
- Extensive Recreational Facilities
- Flourishing Cultural Community
- Low Utility Rates and Taxes
- Family Oriented Community
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume to Competition #19163A Human Resources Department, City of Medicine Hat, Suite 101, 505 First Street SE, Medicine Hat T1A 0A9; fax (403) 525-8870; e-mail email@example.com.
This posting will remain open until Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.