As one of Canada’s fastest growing municipalities, Rocky View County offers significant opportunities for professional development. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for the complexities of rural and urban development. We seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
Reporting to the Supervisor and overseen by the Manager Agricultural and Environmental Services, the Advisor is responsible for executing public education campaigns promoting and facilitating proper waste disposal, waste reduction, recycling, composting, reuse, and other related environmental programs, policies and services within Rocky View. Directly oversee and guide operational employees and contractors in the day-to-day duties and functions at the various facilities the County owns. Liaise with park partners of other municipalities where Rocky View has specific interests in servicing its residents. The Advisor will use community-based social marketing techniques as well as traditional methods of engaging Rocky View residents in environmentally favorable behaviors resulting in an increased level of participation and awareness. The Advisor will represent the solid waste department at trade shows, public open houses, and educational institutions, on-site at transfer sites, recycling depots and other municipal facilities and throughout the community as required. This position will provide support to the Department through solid waste and recycling program development, implementation, research and feedback. The Advisor will also be responsible for identifying and reporting Health and Safety concerns related to solid waste and recycling programs, facilities and practices to the Supervisor.
• Develop, administer and implement environmental education programs to promote proper waste disposal, waste reduction, recycling, composting, reuse, wise water use and other environmentally related programs, policies and services within Rocky View.
• Prepare presentations, displays, promotional materials and educational campaigns for utilization at trade shows, open houses, educational institutions, day camps, special events and other appropriate forums for reaching target audiences.
• Maintain accurate records of all waste and recycling weights. Appropriately manage the data via best practices and database/spreadsheet tools.
• Represent the County at various solid waste and recycling associations related to communications and public education and awareness at the regional and provincial levels at the discretion of the Supervisor.
• Provide guidance and feedback to the Supervisor on trials and successes of programs, policies, services and projects in order to improve and increase service delivery including suggestions for new initiatives.
• Liaise with members of the community through formal and informal methods (e.g., surveys to conversations) to understand the needs and wants of district residents in order to supply advice, guidance and support for new program initiatives and policies to improve and increase service delivery and waste diversion.
• Continually seek out new venues and methods for program, project and message promotion and delivery at individual, community and district wide levels.
• Represent the County on waste management task forces and coordinate the necessary actions required for municipal responsibilities/participation.
• Promote and support environmentally responsible activities with fellow employees and building maintenance employees.
• Directly oversee operational employees or contractors that are engaged upon those duties or tasks at the various sites and facilities Rocky View County owns.
• Liaise with partner program contacts to ensure the effectiveness use for our residents.
• Adhere to Health and Safety Legislation and Rocky View safe work policies and procedures at all times, ensuring the protection and safety of self, co-workers, the public and environment.
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Possess the ability to educate and promote environmentally sound practices and solid waste related programs to Rocky View residents.
• Possess the ability to work well with the public and to effect behavioral change.
• Possess the knowledge base, interest and passion in environmental and solid waste management programs, policies, and projects within Rocky View, the region, the province and beyond.
• Possess the ability and willingness to continually educate oneself on the issues, science and technology, laws and regulations surrounding solid waste, recycling, waste diversion and environmental subjects.
• Demonstrate initiative and innovation in program delivery, communications, and marketing strategies.
• Promote a work environment that is productive, reliable, and efficient and is geared to service excellence by working collaboratively with coworkers, the public and external organizations and representatives.
• Demonstrate project management skills including the ability to plan, monitor, and track and achieve desired outcomes with the approved budget and timelines.
• Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to frequently adjust to shifting priorities of the organization.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the municipal environment including associated risk management, safety and liability concerns.
• Possess above average oral communication skills.
• Must adhere to all Rocky View policies and procedures.
• Completion of Community Based Social Marketing Course would be considered an asset.
• Good working knowledge of multi-media technology is necessary.
• Experience in customer service, public education and program development and delivery is a must.
• Proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access).
• Possess a valid class 5 driver’s license.
Job Type: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Number of Positions: 1
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs. Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.