Join a vibrant outdoor centric community filled with trails and breathtaking nature along the winding river valley of Red Deer, in Central Alberta. Red Deer is an economically dynamic region of Alberta situated directly between Edmonton and Calgary along the vital QE 2 corridor. It is a perfect blend of small town friendliness and big city conveniences. Host to the 2016 Memorial Cup and the 2019 Canada Winter Games, Red Deer continues to welcome all of Canada with open arms.
We are currently recruiting for the right person to fill the position of Sport & Recreation Coordinator. This position is responsible for leadership, contract relationship management, community development and supervision to support community-based individuals and groups in the direct and indirect delivery of programs, services or special projects. In addition to facilitating community access to sport facilities and open spaces, this position focuses on implementing a community development approach in service delivery and acts a liaison to the sport and recreation community on behalf of The City. While managing this area, the incumbent also holds responsibilities for budget, communications, safety and risk management.
Ideally to fill this role you will be a proven performer with a university degree and courses specific to community development, recreation or sport administration with five years of experience particularly in sport and community development within the government, public systems, voluntary and/or non-profit sectors.
In addition, you will have:
- Extensive knowledge of the sport community, various government ministries and funder mandates, programs and services.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the philosophy and objectives of sport, municipal recreation, of the principles of public recreation facility management, operation and maintenance and of a community development approach to service provision.
- Ability to make sound judgments, gather information from a variety of sources and articulate findings effectively in oral and print format.
- Thorough understanding of the concept of and application of marketing principles and practices to ensure a high degree of public accessibility to programs and services.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles and the techniques of budget preparation and preparation of fees and charges.
- Ability to coordinate and monitor a number of activities and range of projects that can involve complex situations and often conflicting needs and interests.
What we offer:
In addition to the competitive annual salary of $84,365 to $105,456 and an excellent benefit package, we offer a great work environment with a dynamic and dedicated team of likeminded professionals.
If you like what you have read, and think this is the job for you; come build your career with The City of Red Deer. We are committed to a healthy, vibrant, and sustainable community. Our employees are the cornerstone of our organization and working with us will provide you with the opportunity to work in an ever growing environment and to work with an awesome group of people.