The City of Medicine Hat's Solid Waste Utility is responsible for ensuring a functional, reliable and cost effective waste collection, waste diversion, landfill, and compost services that meet internal and external customer needs.
In this challenging leadership role, you have an understanding and ability to lead the maintenance and operation of Solid Waste Utility’s Landfill and Compost operations. As the Superintendent, you will provide oversight of the operations that includes scale crossings, compost operations, waste diversion, Municipal Solid Waste disposal, non-hazardous material disposal, and liaison with non-traditional partnerships. As the successful candidate, you are a continuous learner who enjoys applying new learning and skills in a team environment.
As our ideal candidate, you will be an integral team member in achieving several of our Waste Management Strategy initiatives and help establish new strategies and goals in an ever-changing industry to meet the community’s needs. Some areas of focus would include assessment of expanding the capacity of the current landfill, develop waste reduction programs such C&D waste, site and construct future non-hazardous industrial cells; review current composting program and evaluate areas for improvement or additions to processes, assess and enhance operational efficiencies and customer services.
- Successful completion of a two (2) year diploma in Civil Technology from a recognized post-secondary institution;
- Five (5) years of experience in the construction, operation and maintenance of a Landfill Operation, including four (4) years managing, leading and coordinating work teams;
- Possession of an unrestricted Alberta Environmental Protection Landfill Manager Certification;
- Possession of an Alberta Environment Compost Operating Certification;
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record;
- A management approved equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
Our organization offers a highly attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefits, learning & development opportunities as well as a great work environment which provides excellent opportunities for professional growth.
The City of Medicine Hat strives to achieve its vision to be a “Community of Choice”; a place where people choose to live, work and play. The Medicine Hat advantage:
- Extensive Recreational Facilities
- Flourishing Cultural Community
- Low Utility Rates and Taxes
- Family Oriented Community
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume to Competition #19111A Human Resources Department, City of Medicine Hat, Suite 101, 505 First Street SE, Medicine Hat T1A 0A9; fax (403) 525-8870; e-mail email@example.com.
This posting will remain open until Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.