The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Shared Principles, innovation is encouraged; communication and learning are continuous in this team environment while maintaining a positive work and family life balance.
In this position you are responsible for the planning, directing and monitoring of the City's Parks and Open Space infrastructure. You oversee the operations and maintenance programs that focus on horticulture, turf grass management, forestry, sport fields operation and maintenance, amenity maintenance, environmental services, cemetery maintenance, pathway and trail maintenance and provide special event support.
Operations and Maintenance Management
- Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise and review the work of staff and contractors responsible for maintenance and operational tasks associated with core services.
- Develop work objectives and standards for service delivery of each core service; monitor service delivery progress and perform ongoing evaluation.
- Establish schedules and methods for providing landscape maintenance services; identify resources needed; review needs with appropriate management staff and allocate resources accordingly.
- Participate in the development of Public Works goals and objectives as well as policies and procedures.
- Make recommendations for change and improvement to existing standards, policies and procedures.
- Identify and respond to park maintenance problems and issues.
- Review landscape designs proposed through capital developments and participate in completion inspections.
- Ensure contracts, tenders and purchases are completed within City guidelines and procedures consistent with the City's requirements and preferences.
- Assist with the administration of the City playground safety program
- Coordinate assigned activities with those of other work units, outside agencies and departments.
- Provide input regarding capital purchases or fleet management.
- Prepare and conduct employee discussions and performance reviews on a regular basis.
- Provide effective and regular feedback as part of ongoing performance management of staff.
- Coach and mentor direct reports.
- Participate in recruitment, onboarding and ensure staff are appropriately trained.
- Ensure training is well-planned and contributes effectively to increasing competencies in accordance with Learning Paths.
- Lead regular meetings and team building exercises.
Administrative and Financial Management
- Participate in the preparation and administration of the program budget; submit budget recommendation and monitor expenditures.
- Maintain records concerning operation program; prepares report on operation and activities.
- Identify contractors and suppliers with the best available expertise and cost efficient to preform required work and maintain service levels.
- Prepare and issue reports, make recommendations and provide instructions as required.
- Participate in reviews of planned and constructed Parks and Open Spaces projects.
- Process payments, monitor ongoing expenditures and periodically report on variances.
- Maintain City compliance with related environmental legislation and City policies during the performance of work by staff or contracted services.
- Provide leadership for Health and Safety within the section. Ensure staff and hired contract workers comply with City Safety Management System and that all work is performed in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Code and Regulation.
- Ensure contractors and staff are aware of their health and safety responsibilities and that incidents are reported and investigated.
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information and resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Develop and maintain ongoing working relationship with vendors, contractors and various City departments.
- Minimum post-secondary Diploma (2 years) in related field (arboriculture, horticulture, landscape maintenance, turf management, etc.)
- Minimum of eight (8) to ten (10) years’ experience in a Parks operations and maintenance environment.
- Minimum of five (5) years of proven leadership skills at a supervisory level.
- Leadership Development Program certificate an asset.
How to Apply:
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org to apply online and for a full job description and more information about the City of Spruce Grove.