The County of Newell is currently recruiting for the full-time position of Supervisor of Planning & Development. This position reports to the Manager of Planning, Development and Engineering and is responsible for overseeing all matters pertaining to the current and long term Planning and Development function within the County of Newell.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overall responsibility for the Planning and Development function including directing department staff and contract service providers in the delivery of planning and development services, both internally and to the general public.
- Ensure that planning and development occurs in compliance with the Municipal Government Act, the Subdivision and Development Regulations, the Municipal Development Plan, the applicable Land Use Bylaws, and other relevant plans, bylaws and policies established or adopted by each municipality.
- Oversee contracted service providers hired to supplement the Planning and Development Function.
- Ensure that planning and development services are delivered in a manner that meets the needs of the municipalities.
- Attend Council meetings, Council committee meetings, Municipal Planning Commission meetings, public open houses or meetings, and other planning and development related meetings, as required.
- Undertake other tasks, duties, responsibilities and special projects as required within the scope of the position.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Graduate of a recognized University degree program in Urban Planning, Urban and Rural Development, Geography, or other post-secondary program in a related discipline.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in planning and development, preferably in a municipal setting.
- Candidates must have a good understanding of all key legislative and regulatory requirements that apply to the Planning Division (municipal, provincial, and federal) and be able to ensure all legal and regulatory requirements are always met.
- Ability to work effectively with others in a respectful and constructive manner with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word).
- Experience with Adobe, Laserfiche, WorkTech, Diamond, and Visio would be a definite asset and must also be willing to continue learning and adapting to new applications.
- Experience with ArcGIS would be a definite asset.
- Must have a valid Alberta Driver’s License.
The County of Newell offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes the Local Authorities Pension Plan, and Health & Wellness Benefits. Salary will be based on qualifications and level of experience.
If interested, please submit a cover letter with your resume in confidence including salary expectations and 3 references to:
Attention Human Resources
County of Newell
PO Box 130
Brooks, AB, T1R 1B2
Email: HR@newellmail.ca Fax: (877) 208-4022
All applicants are thanked for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.