The Town of Sylvan Lake is a lakeside town in Central Alberta of over 14,000 people and growing rapidly. With close proximity to the major centers of Red Deer, Calgary and Edmonton, we can offer the amenities of larger center with the relaxed living atmosphere offered by a smaller community. With abundant year round recreational and cultural activities, we have definitely earned the name of “Brilliant All Year!” We are a growing and thriving municipality and as such the organization continues to move ahead in a progressive manner. We have an immediate opening for an:
POSITION TITLE: Tourism Marketing & Development Coordinator
Reporting to the Culture, Tourism & Marketing Supervisor, the Tourism Marketing & Development Coordinator is responsible for the marketing and implementation of tourism year round within the Town of Sylvan Lake. The incumbent provides energy, leadership and initiative in developing and promoting high quality visitor experiences within the TOSL. This is balanced with strong customer service ability, creative thinking, leadership, and business acumen.
- Promote Sylvan Lake as a tourist and cultural destination;
- Assist in the content and design of promotional & marketing plans;
- Communicate positively with tourism committees, non-profit groups and local businesses through relationship building and campaign creation to build awareness of the tourism community;
- Strategically plan, develop and execute various tourism-marketing strategies as identified in the Tourism Marketing Strategy.
- Assist Communications Department in developing social media program & content to enhance the awareness of Sylvan Lake as a year-round destination in Alberta.
- Solicit and attract external events and conferences.
- Manage and implement the Sylvan Lake Tourism Marketing Strategy.
- Experience in working within budgets;
- Interpret statistics for attendance, coordinate and use this information to adjust workshops and events for improved efficiency and customer satisfaction;
- Interface positively with educational and tourism programs
- Assist in identifying and securing sponsorship and tourism grants;
- Development of promotional tourism assets;
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours as scheduled;
- Ensures that all customer inquiries, and any other issues are handled proficiently and professionally;
- Promote, support and enforce the Town Health and & Safety Policy and Procedures, and Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act requirements;
- Responsible to be the liaison and/or resource to other departments, tourism businesses and consultants to promote and further enhance the tourism opportunities within the community;
- Perform other duties essential to the position (as required);
- Responsible to complete reports, budgets and monitor final accounting;
- Attend required meetings and related seminars;
- 2-3 years’ experience in a Municipal Setting;
- Two years successful marketing experience in a Tourism Marketing related business;
- Diploma or Degree in Business, Culture, Recreation, Tourism or a combination of experience and education or a related field would be an asset;
- Ability to plan, implement evaluate and organize, tourism programs for a wide variety of age groups and backgrounds;
- Strong understanding of social media platforms and trends. Solid knowledge and experience in tourism offerings
- Excellent sales, marketing and communication skills;
- Solid ability to find, and grow revenue opportunities;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Excellent listening skills to provide solutions;
- Strong follow-up skills and an ability to deal with tact, diplomacy and confidentiality;
- Knowledge in Municipal Operations/Policies;
- A valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License;
- Good communication skills, both written and oral, along with strong customer service skills and presentation ability
- Proven ability to build strong working relationships with organizations and business community;
- Excellence in developing positive relationships with volunteers, businesses, community groups and co-workers;
- Background and criminal check will be required;
- Participation in the Town’s General Safety Training Program;
- Workplace Accident/Incident Investigation Certification an asset;
This is a terrific opportunity to work in a professional, team focused environment. You have a strong desire to be a major contributor to the success of a vibrant and growing organization. If you are up to the challenge of taking ownership and wanting to make a difference, this is an ideal situation. We offer competitive rates, a tremendous benefits package and an excellent work/life balance situation.
If this position intrigues you, please submit your resume in confidence specifying which position you are applying for, by February 2, 2020, to:
Town of Sylvan Lake
5012 – 48 Avenue, Sylvan Lake, AB T4S 1G6
Attention: Human Resources
F 403 887 3660 | email@example.com