The City of Lethbridge (www.lethbridge.ca) serves a community of over 100,000 residents, and is committed to delivering services in a way that earns the trust, respect and confidence of the community. Our diverse organization is comprised of 1,500 employees across a wide variety of business areas. Located just two hours south of Calgary and close to the Rocky Mountains and U.S. border, Lethbridge is a family-oriented and culturally vibrant community with diverse recreational opportunities, fine restaurants & shopping, and home to two innovative post-secondary institutions – the University of Lethbridge and Lethbridge College. The City of Lethbridge recognizes the diversity of our community and is working to ensure programs, services, facilities and employment opportunities are inclusive to all people.
The Transportation Operations Manager is responsible for leading the maintenance and operation of transportation infrastructure to maintain service levels established by the Transportation Department and City Council. The primary scope of services includes the snow and ice control program, annual street sweeping program and roadway maintenance and rehabilitation, including the annual Overlay program, in addition to a number of smaller, maintenance activities. This position is one of several key management positions working within our Public Operations Division, in addition to Parks operations, Water and Wastewater Operations and Waste and Recycling Operations, and as such, provides joint direction to ensure the successful integration of Public Operations resources and work priorities.
Reporting to the Transportation Manager, you will be expected to maintain an environment that encourages individual commitment and growth, fosters teamwork and recognizes the importance of excellent customer service even in the heat of a major event. You will ensure that resources are efficiently managed to ensure that level of service standards are met in a cost effective manner by monitoring expenditures according to approved budgets. You will provide daily leadership and direction to operations staff and will work collaboratively with others in the Transportation Business Unit to develop work plans in association with service level objectives. Through the Coordinator and three (3) Foreman, the staff in this work area consists of 25 full time and up to another 25 part time employees in Transportation Operations. You will develop and implement maintenance programs and new processes to ensure that the investment the Corporation has made in transportation infrastructure is being protected. Health, Wellness and Safety of employees is one of our top priorities. You will participate in hiring new employees as well as provide discipline/corrective action for employees and liaise with Human Resources on many issues, as required.
Background and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in an applicable field and/or Public Works Manager Certification (Canadian Public Works Association).
- A minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience in determining priorities and coordinating the activities of employees.
- Candidates with a minimum of 10+ years of demonstrated experience, knowledge and results in a Transportation related field will be given preference.
- Candidates with experience working and managing in a unionized environment with knowledge of rules, regulations, policies and practices that govern the work of Public Operations will be given preference.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a wide cross section of the corporation, media and the public.
- Ability to recruit, develop and manage the workforce and to implement a corporate health and safety policy that meets program objectives. Implement people planning initiatives, succession planning and leadership development.
- Knowledge of methods and practices related to the operations, maintenance and construction of transportation assets.
- Proven customer service skills that strive for excellence.
- Sound Project Management experience and skills.
- Demonstrated effectiveness with written and verbal communication.
- Ability to think innovatively, strategically and critically.
- Knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing, presentation, accounting software packages and solid computer experience and knowledge.
- Strategic visioning, leadership, effective change management skills, and planning/organization skills to effectively deliver transportation service levels within our approved budgets and to fulfill current and future needs/expectations.
We are looking for a results-oriented team member who demonstrates professionalism and is committed to providing exemplary public service now and into the future.
For further information on this opportunity, please contact: Darwin Juell, P.Eng. Transportation Manager @ 403-315-4472 or email@example.com
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume with cover letter, online at: www.lethbridge.ca
Closing Date: April 8, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.