The Town of Sylvan Lake is a lakeside town in Central Alberta of over 14,000 people and growing. With close proximity to the major centers of Red Deer, Calgary and Edmonton, we can offer the amenities of larger center with the relaxed living atmosphere offered by a smaller community. With abundant year round recreational and cultural activities, we have definitely earned the name of “Brilliant All Year!” We are a growing and thriving municipality and as such the organization continues to move ahead in a progressive manner.
Do you want the chance to work with an amazing team where learning and thorough communication is an ongoing experience? Do you want to have fun at the same time as providing a critical service to the entire Town? If you are interested in this tremendous opportunity, we have an immediate opening for a:
Compliance Operator – Permanent Full Time
Wage Range - $39.59 – 47.28/hr – 40 hours/week
Reporting to the Environmental Services Supervisor, this position is responsible for ensuring optimal results of our compliance related requirements are met through the supervision, coordination and execution of the Town of Sylvan Lake Federal and Provincial approvals and requirements.
As a member of the Environmental Services leadership team, be regularly available to perform the duties and responsibilities of the Environmental Services Supervisor in an acting capacity
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
- Analyzes and interprets data for compliance with applicable standards ensuring compliance with Alberta and Federal legislation as it relates to the Town of Sylvan Lake utilities approvals and requirements.
- Investigate, document, and communicate all issues and incident, which may adversely affect our approvals, the environment, operations of the utilities and the Town of Sylvan Lake
- Must be available to perform the duties and responsibilities of the Environmental Services Supervisor in an acting capacity as required.
- Aid in the coordination and implementation of programs, tasks, monitoring, quality assurance and quality control of analyses and submittal of required environmental compliance / non-compliance reports to management, and internal / external stakeholders as required
- Planning, coordinating, and documentation of all operating, maintenance, QA/QC, activities and requirements as it relates to compliance.
- Oversight of compliance results including but not limited to performing administrative tasks that consist of: reviewing laboratory analysis reports, preparing for future compliance requirements, compiles data and reports, maintain records and files, generates and review work orders, modify compliance work process and efficiency
- Assisting with water and wastewater treatment, distribution & collection operations as required which includes but not limited in participating in the operator on-call rotation
- As required must be able to support the Supervisor and Department by performing the tasks and responsibilities of a Utility operator
- Mentor and train team members on all aspects of the Town of Sylvan Lake Utility
- A willingness to maintain and upgrade to the highest level of certification in the disciplines of Water Distribution, Wastewater Collection, and Water Treatment that can be held with the Towns Utility
- Immediately communicated any shortfalls, concerns or issues with regards to compliance issues to the Environmental Services Supervisor and Manager
- Assist the Environmental Services Supervisor in the day to day operation and supervision of the Department operational requirements and performance
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Grade 12 / GED or Equivalent
- 8 years of experience with over 12,000 contact hours in a class 2 or higher wastewater collections / water distribution/ water treatment system
- 4 years Direct Responsible Charge (DRC) experience in a class 2 or higher wastewater collection and water distribution system with no less than 3,600 hrs. total
- Level 3 Wastewater Collection (within 6 months)
- Level 3 Water distribution (within 6 months)
- Level 2 Water treatment
- Successful completion of a post-secondary program or degree in Water and Wastewater, Science, Environmental Studies, Engineering, or Hydrogeology, will be considered an asset.
- Must have proven success in supervising a contingency of staff of no less than 4 members in a class 2 or higher utility
- Ability to interpret legislative compliance documentation as it relates to the Department
- Proven ability to build a strong, positive with representatives of AEP.
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Ability to train / supervise staff
- Clean drivers abstract
- Criminal Records check
- Strong ability to communicate positively in all formats with staff, customers, contractors, government stakeholders, etc.
- Could include adverse weather conditions, confined spaces, climbing ladders, etc.
The Town of Sylvan Lake is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports diversity in the workplace; all candidates who are authorized to work in Canada and meet the qualifications are welcome to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a terrific opportunity to work in a professional, team-focused environment. You have a strong desire to be major contributor to the success of a vibrant and growing organization. If you are up to the challenge of taking ownership and wanting to make a difference, this is an ideal situation. We offer competitive rates, a tremendous benefits package and an excellent work/life balance situation. If this position intrigues you, please submit your resume in confidence specifying which position you are applying for by April 18, 2021, to:
Town of Sylvan Lake
5012 – 48 Avenue
Sylvan Lake, AB T4S 1G6
Attention: Human Resources
F 403 887 3660