Water and Wastewater Distribution and Collection Lead
Comp # MS-21-02
$37.79 - $46.47 hourly
Are you interested in leading a dynamic team while being involved in an active part of the utility functions? Do you have an interest in report writing, being creative all while working by the book? Does participation, organization and teamwork fit your work persona? If so, we’d like to introduce you to our full time Water and Wastewater Distribution and Collection Lead position!
Reporting to the Manager of Utilities, the Water and Wastewater Distribution and Collection Lead assists in the operation and maintenance of the water and wastewater system.
You are the ideal candidate if…
- You lead by example and enjoy mentoring
- You have exceptional organization and trouble shooting skills
- Have high standards for health and safety
- Demonstrates empathy when needed
- Are action and results driven
- You know the right balance between field and desk tasks
- Enjoy all aspects of Utility Services
Team Direction/Coordination 25%
- Ability to supervise a crew in the more complex and technical construction and maintenance activities of the City’s water and wastewater collection and distribution systems.
- Effectively plans and lays out work for crew to meet timelines and productivity goals after consultation with supervisor, studying drawing, blueprints, GIS data, specifications, and work orders.
Field Work 50%
- Ensures that existing utilities have been located and marked appropriately and all required permits are on acquired.
- Obtains necessary materials and supplies for current jobs and places special orders for “hard-to-get” or back-ordered materials and supplies.
- Flush water and sewer mains, operate valves, inspect /repair manholes and catch basins.
- Repair fire hydrants
- Conduct scheduled water /sewer sampling
- Thaw, troubleshoot, excavate and repair/replace water and sewer service lines, mains, valves, storm water collection appurtenances
- Install/repair test/read water meters
- Camera, snake sanitary sewer services
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly, etc. water and sewer Station checks, consistently spot mechanical/electrical problems, perform routine maintenance
Safety/Customer Service 25%
- Deal with customer complaints or questions, or re-direct them as appropriate
- Participate in City Safety Program including JHA, Site inspections and Safety Meetings
- Lead role in helping to create, edit and mentor operators through developing and using SOP’s throughout team
Education and Work Experience
- Grade 12 completion and must hold Alberta Environment Certification
- Level 2 Water Distribution
- Level 2 Wastewater Collection
- Valid Alberta Driver's License, minimum Class 5 or equivalent and Air Brake endorsement. Class 3 or higher preferred.
- Must have a minimum of five years’ experience in water/sewer distribution-collection or treatment
- Experienced in water/sewer distribution/collection or treatment.
- Experienced in operating a loader or backhoe.
- Experienced in supervising and training junior Operators.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Must possess skills necessary to operate the water distribution and wastewater collection systems within the control regulations as dictated by the Alberta Environment-issued Approval for the City of Wetaskiwin Water Treatment Plant.
- Must have received the appropriate city-required training and be able to safely operate a loader or a backhoe.
Close Date: Open until filled.
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.