Winter officially starts this week and, although the cold has already started to settle in, there are a few things to be mindful of over the holidays, especially with reduced number of people on site and reliance on on-call staff.
Extreme weather this time of year can bring unique risks to physical structures and equipment:
- Heavy snow loads on roofs and mobile equipment
- Extreme temperatures
- High winds speeds
- Freezing rain, sleet and melting from freeze/thaw cycles
Municipalities can take a few steps to ensure there a no surprises by:
- Inspecting roof lines and equipment for snow load and/or ice build up
- Protecting structures, mobile equipment and utility services from the elements
- Winterizing equipment and buildings that will be exposed to freezing temperatures
- Ensuring acceptable heat and cover where winterization is not an option
Taking few steps to protect municipal assets over the winter holidays and throughout the season will ensure there are no surprises or disruptions to service. For additional loss prevention tips on winter roof collapse prevention, download our quick reference guide.
Season’s Greetings from the AUMA/AMSC Risk & Claims Department.
After Hours Emergency Claims Service Phone Number: 1-866-939-2862