The Honourable Shaye Anderson, Minister of Municipal Affairs, is pleased to announce the 2019 Minister’s Awards of Municipal Excellence. The 18th annual awards recognize municipal government excellence and promotes knowledge sharing among municipalities in five categories:
- Innovation – Recognizes a leading practice embodying the first use of an idea in a municipal context in Alberta (municipalities with a population of less than 500,000);
- Partnership – Recognizes a leading municipal practice involving consultation, co-ordination and co-operation with other municipalities, jurisdictions or organizations (municipalities with a population of less than 500,000);
- Safe Communities – Recognizes a leading practice focused on making municipalities safer through prevention and enforcement (municipalities with a population of less than 500,000);
- Smaller Municipalities – Recognizes the innovative practices developed by communities with less than 3,000 residents;
- Larger Municipalities – Recognizes an innovative and creative practice of larger municipalities with populations of 500,000 or greater that have a substantial resource base and who can partner with departments within the municipality’s control; and
- Outstanding Achievement – Recognizes a municipality or municipal partnership that has helped to inspire action and change that has benefited local government practice in Alberta. This award, if chosen by the review committee, recognizes the best submission from the other categories.
Submission forms and more information can be found on the Municipal Excellence Awards webpage. Deadline for submissions is March 29, 2019.