Advocating for a new, more equitable police funding model is one of AUMA’s priorities for 2018. However, there is more work to do in developing and testing options for this funding model. Also, as establishing a new funding model will require opening the Alberta Police Act, AUMA would like to determine what other legislative changes may be required.
To accomplish this, AUMA is establishing a working group with the following mandate:
- Gather and validate information on the current policing costs being paid by municipalities.
- Develop specific options for a funding model.
- Provide estimates of the financial impacts to municipalities under each funding model option.
- Test funding model options with AUMA membership.
- Recommend other amendments to the Alberta Police Act to improve policing services and community safety.
Review the Terms of Reference for the working group.
We are looking for individuals who have prior experience relating to matters of policing and the Alberta Police Act to join this working group. Working group members will be selected based on experience, with some consideration given to the geographic region and size of municipality represented to ensure a diverse range of perspectives.
If you have any questions about the working group or require additional information, feel free to contact Kelly at 780-409-4315.