AUMA and RMA recently hosted the first of two Cannabis and Public Health Webinars entitled "Regulating Public Consumption" with the following speakers:
- Les Hagen, Action on Smoking and Health
- Dr. Jason Cabaj, Alberta Health Services (AHS)
- Angeline Webb, Canadian Cancer Society
- Kim Isaak, City of Camrose
- Kayla Atkey, Alberta Policy Coalition for Chronic Disease Prevention
This webinar focused on municipal options to regulate the public consumption of cannabis and prevent the renormalization of public smoking. Speakers described a broad approach to limiting smoking and vaping in public places, reducing youth exposure, simplifying enforcement, and increasing voluntary compliance.
If you missed the webinar, you can access the recording and the presentation, as well as the Cannabis Information Package for Municipalities developed by AHS. Other useful links mentioned in webinar include:
- The Canadian Cancer Society’s Smoke-Free Housing Alberta
- Action on Smoking & Health’s Municipal Resource Hub
- Action on Smoking & Health’s Model Smoking Bylaw
The next webinar in our Cannabis and Public Health series, Webinar II - Developing Bylaws for Land-Use and Business Licensing, takes place from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 6. This webinar will provide recommendations for land use/zoning and business licensing bylaw development. Topics will include separation distances, density, numbers of stores, co-location, hours of operation, advertising and signage, business license application processes, and good neighbour agreements. Experts from public health will provide key background information and examples from Alberta municipalities that show promising practices in cannabis bylaw development.