The Government of Canada has launched Flood Ready, a public awareness campaign that seeks to encourage Canadians to better understand flood risks and adopt measures to mitigate flooding. Flooding is currently one of the most frequent and costly natural disasters, and one that can severely disrupt the safety and economic stability of municipalities.
The ‘Flood Ready’ campaign intends to encourage Canadians to learn about overland flooding and the damage it can cause, become part of the solution, and take steps to protect their homes and communities. To accomplish these goals, the ‘Flood Ready’ webpage includes the following resources:
- Overview of overland flooding
- Reasons to be ‘Flood Ready’
- Quiz on flood risks
- Step-by-step guide on improving home and community safety
- Proactive measures to improve flood-readiness around one’s property
- Information regarding community flood planning steps, tools and government programs (e.g. National Disaster Mitigation Program).
Floods are just one type of natural disaster or emergency that can impact municipalities. Visit AUMA’s emergency management and disaster response webpage for more tips and resources to safeguard your community.