The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) has developed a new resource to guide municipal leaders in building their community brand and marketing. Community branding and marketing is more than a compelling logo, good promotional sales pitch, new website and communication materials. It is a process municipalities can use to engage their community and build partnerships with local businesses.
Effective community branding and marketing supports local economic development by:
- putting your community on the global, regional and national map;
- increasing a sense of local identity, well-being and pride;
- attracting new businesses, industries, investments and high profile events;
- drawing in new populations and a diversity of skills and talents; and
- increasing tourism.
FCM’s toolkit provides a self-guided learning experience using PowerPoint presentations, international and Canadian case studies, video footage and other resources.
The toolkit guides the user through key steps such as:
- establishing a leadership group to champion the initiative;
- market research and analysis;
- creating a brand identity;
- defining a marketing strategy and plan;
- marketing implementation and delivering campaigns; and
- measuring success.