The 2020 annual AUMA Convention is a wrap! Thank you to all the members who attended at the end of September. This year’s theme, Together We Can, has never been more relevant, as municipal officials and administration have embraced the power of collaboration and support to persevere through challenges like the pandemic and our current economic climate.
In order to offer our members the most accessibility while emphasizing safety protocols, our first-ever virtual Convention kicked off with a week of education sessions on September 16-23. While the delivery of the sessions looked a bit different, members across the province gathered to learn more about many hot topics, including:
- how municipal leaders can help end systemic discrimination;
- navigating pressures from COVID-19 and its resulting recession;
- healthy and resilient small communities; and
- Alberta's police force.
And even though we were not all physically together during the convention, our fully-virtual format allowed for great engagement and conversations during:
- dialogue sessions with provincial ministers;
- keynotes, including Peter Mansbridge and Hayley Wickenheiser;
- board of directors elections;
- award-winning entertainment; and
- virtual networking events.
Mark your calendars for next year, when we are in Edmonton from November 17-19, 2021.